Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

I Think This Just Might Work - Michael

I had my first real day of remotely working from my Costa Rican home today, and it went pretty well. The Internet connection seemed fine. Aside from needing a little more light on my face, the Google Hangout worked well. The VoIP phone makes calling co-workers super easy, and in off-hours helps us stay connected to friends and family.

We haven't gotten cell phones, but the sister missionaries were able to call me on our land-line to change the appointment we had tomorrow.

We started the day wondering how to get a car. With the help from our friends here, we were able to drive down to San Jose this evening and check one out that, while beat up a bit inside, would probably meet our needs and budget. (I do have to say that the drive from here to San Jose at dusk in foggy rainy weather felt a lot like Disneyland's Space Mountain.)

When we drove back from San Jose, the rain had stopped. The road was dry, and the sky was clear. As we drove, I thought, "I think this is really going to work." I'm not certain we will end up buying the car we looked at tonight, but we probably will.

This whole idea started about three years ago, while reading, "The Art of Non-Conformity," by Chris Guillebeau. That was a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment