Pages

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Riteve: Costa Rican Safety and Emissions Inspection - Michael

I've been stressing about the car passing the safety and emissions inspection, which is due this month. It's an annual thing, but unlike Utah, there are only select places you can get it done. The closest place to us was about an hour away.

I had read all of the horror stories about how picky the inspectors can be; however, that doesn't make any sense, because I see lots of cars on the street that don't seem like they could have passed in years.

I've been primarily concerned about getting the speedometer fixed, because it's specifically listed on the Riteve site. Last week we took our car to our mechanic to have him fix the speedometer. He wasn't able to fix it at the time but fixed a bunch of other things. He also offered to drive our car down for the inspection, for a small fee.

We decided it would be worthwhile to have him do so. That way I wouldn't have to take time off work, and Hannah wouldn't have to deal with the drive or trying to communicate to the inspectors about the car.

On Monday, our Check Engine light, which is pretty much always on wasn't on. (The car won't normally pass inspection if it is on). I decided now was the time to try it. I worked things out with our mechanic to come pick up the car and take it down the next morning.

Fortunately he advised me to make sure my oil and other fluids were okay. The oil dipstick came out dry. We were able to add oil before we burned up the engine.

Dixon, the mechanic, showed up the next morning just before 5:00 am to take the car down. He asked me if I had a fire extinguisher or jumper cables in the car. I didn't, so he stopped by his house on the way out to take his with him. It was a little unsettling to have him drive off with the car and the title (the title is required for the inspection), but we trusted him.

In the end, the car passed, and Dixon didn't steal our car. I think it probably helped us pass to have a Tico take it in.

The Check Engine light came back on the next day, and the speedometer still doesn't work, but we're all set for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment