Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Bags - Hannah

A lot of food that comes in bottles or cans in the United States, here in Costa Rica comes in bags. The first time I went to the store, I was with a friend and looking for mayonnaise. It was right in front of my face but I didn't see it until my friend pointed out that it was in a bag.

Tomato sauce, Mayonnaise & Ketchup

Sweetened Condensed Milk & Salad Dressing


I have a theory as to why there is this difference. Many people here don't have cars, and when you're carrying bags of groceries home, either walking or riding the bus, cans and bottles can be heavy. Reducing the grocery weight makes it easier to get the groceries home.

I like having things lighter, and also having them take up less space in the refrigerator. Also, I like avoiding the messy-knife-in-the-mayonnaise-jar situation. Think, trying to deal with toothpaste from a jar, and you'll understand why sometimes squeezing from a bag works better.

No comments:

Post a Comment