Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

Housecleaning - Hannah

Today I had a lady come clean my house.

I've seen her at my neighbor's house, so I asked my neighbor about her. He told me how honest she was--if she was in his house for a month, with five million dollars on the bed, it wouldn't go anywhere. Also, she charges the equivalent of $2.40 an hour. My kids wouldn't work for that much. There is a sector of service workers here in Costa Rica who work for very little--I'm not sure how they live on what they make. It's got to be a lot of rice and beans.

So today I splurged and hired Ania to clean. She's very quiet and unassuming, a hard worker, and did a great job. I was impressed to see the many ways she uses a broom. Having someone clean the house is not something I would do regularly, although it's very tempting at that price. A few days ago when I told the kids it was time to clean up, one of them said, "But the cleaning lady is coming. Why do we have to clean?" Because I don't want lazy kids, that's why.

On a side note, at lunchtime I think I asked Ania if she has a man. I meant to say, "Are you hungry?" ("Tienes hambre?"), but it came out, "Tienes hombre?" Ah well, if she noticed she didn't let it show.

I am worried she was disappointed when she asked if I would like her to come back next week, and I told her I would call when I wanted her to come again. It's not that she didn't do a great job, it's just that we need some work too.

Anyway, I appreciated all her work and am now enjoying my clean house.

No comments:

Post a Comment