Pages

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Coconuts - Hannah

We are enjoying the coconuts here. The ones we like are called pipas. They're green on the outside, with very little coconut meat, but the coconut water inside is awesome.

It actually doesn't taste a whole lot different from water, but it's very refreshing and invigorating. Think, the all-natural version of sports or electrolyte-replacement drinks. I've heard it used in the United States for that purpose, but it would be great if it was more readily available and economical.

Apparently coconuts were used during World War II as an IV fluid for injured soldiers. It's sterile, is close enough to the composition of human plasma, and was readily available in certain areas. I think that's pretty cool. So next time I'm feeling a bit dehydrated, I'll just hook myself up to a coconut. Mmmm....


Michael opening up the coconut
with his all-purpose machete


Caleb enjoying the pipa

1 comment: