Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Making Apple Crisp - Hannah

Last Saturday we had a Young Men/Young Women activity at our home, where we taught the kids how to make apple crisp. A couple months ago, Julia said that they were planning some Young Women's activities, and were asked if anyone knew how to make apple pie. Julia said our family doesn't usually make apple pie, but could make a similar desert called apple crisp.

It's funny because I've heard from a few different people how much Costa Rican's love apple pie, but no one seems to know how to make it. Also, I have heard that some Mormons here have this mistaken idea that Mormon women from Utah are great cooks, especially when it comes to baking. I fall very short in that category, but I do know how to make apple pie, thanks to my mom who taught me to make it for Thanksgiving dinners growing up. And I would have gladly helped them make some apple pie, but our oven is so unreliable I'm afraid it would burn. But apple crisp is a little more forgiving, and so we made that instead.

At home, apple crisp is a relatively inexpensive dessert. But here, apples are fairly expensive because they're imported. Butter is also quite expensive, about $1.50 for one cube. It's also not super common for people to have ovens. Many people just have a stovetop for cooking. So even if many of the kids know how to do it now, I'm not sure they'll be able to make it again in the near future. But I think they enjoyed it anyway.

The youth in our branch are a good group of kids, and I'm glad we were able to do spend the afternoon with them.






No comments:

Post a Comment